Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

MLB Team to the Triangle?

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll PFN Referee Posts: 1,360
Make it so!  I would definitely be at these games all the time! 

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 PFN Referee Posts: 1,894
    All I want is 4 8-team divisions, universal DH.  Tired of watching the Cardinals play the same f-ing teams over and over again.  Let's have real pennant races, too.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Raleigh can't get it together enough to "win" an MLS, so color me a little skeptical on their odds of getting an MLB team.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll PFN Referee Posts: 1,360
    ooooooooh no.. gotta go the other way on the DH! I'm a purist about that I reckon!  I am however all for mixing up the schedules a little more than what we have now though.

Baseball in Raleigh sounds really cool but the traffic situation would be turrible.  Sounds like it would be years off and isn't very likely anyway.
    There are a lot of good ideas for changes to the divisions to greatly reduce travel which they won't implement. 

Average age of the MLB fan is 57 versus m8d 30s for the NBA.  Not a commentary on good or bad, but just an insight as to likelihood for real change.

Love baseball, but hard to wat h on tv these days.  Then again,  might be due to being an O's fan, but just a guess.
  • redwolf87redwolf87 Posts: 6
    "universal DH"

YES!
    I'm good with the DH.  Pitching has become specialized, so it's not as though we can really cling to "old school" or "tradition" anymore
    I was very anti-DH for a long, long time - but evolved over the last 5-10 years.  Allows for more lineup flexibility and adds more jobs which I HOPE helps lessen the chance of a work stoppage.

I miss the days of having deep and more strategic benches, so I also support the expansion of rosters to 26 (but with a maximum of 12 pitchers) - as has been floated.
    My playoff format:

6 per 16-team League.

Division winners get byes.  3 v 6 and 4 v 5 (seeds and selection irrespective of division) play 3-game series ALL at the home stadium of the better seed.  Next round is Best of 5, 2-1-2 format (you see, I am giving more weight to division winners).

LCS and WS are 7 games, the old 2-2-1-1-1 format (or maybe 2-3-2).

I want to keep the playoffs reasonably inclusive while also thumbing the scale so that being really good for 162 games counts more than it presently does.  Because "over 162 games" is the essence of baseball.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118

Average age of the MLB fan is 57 versus m8d 30s for the NBA.  Not a commentary on good or bad, but just an insight as to likelihood for real change.

The best part of the Astros WS in 2017 was that my youngest son learned to love baseball. It’s a different kind of sport to follow. It teaches you about handling ups and downs and how players can have a “bad” season but still be critical to a championship because their best 20 game stretch comes when a key player is hurt. I grew up a Braves fan. I saw Hank Aaron’s 500th HR in person. I go that far back. There’s just something about the sport that keeps you coming back even though it was by far my least favorite to play. 
    Baseball was my favorite to play and watch growing up.  Missed most of 6th and 7th grade seasons due to illness and surgeries.  Coming back after that and seeing a curve ball for the first time changed my world.  Played for a few more years, but other sports took over.

Loved watching my son play the game.  Sadly, an overzealous coach who demanded he  be there 90 minutes before first pitch for BP as a 2nd and 3rd grader ruined it for him.

Parents have a way of ruining youth sports.  Unfortunately, it was someone else ruining it for my kid.

Alas, I've got him to enjoy watching the game and appreciating it with me (just not as much on TV).
    the thing about baseball is similar to JV NFL - the regular season is just so much better than the post-season.  Not sure you can fix that with baseball, though.
  • i've never understood the reluctance to expand rosters and use a 10 person batter lineup.  Allows for a DH and allows for late game double switch pitching/defense strategies.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 195
    I will always hate the DH. But I'm OK with it in one league. Please, for the sake of Allah, don't expand it to two.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll PFN Referee Posts: 1,360
    I want to keep the playoffs reasonably inclusive while also thumbing the scale so that being really good for 162 games counts more than it presently does.  Because "over 162 games" is the essence of baseball.

2018 Cubs agree.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    I grew up following, watching and playing baseball.  Now I only watch it if I attend in person, even the playoffs, though I've enjoyed watching my kids play.

Some thoughts:
    - I grew up hating the DH and have always preferred the National League as a result.  If the DH speeds the game along, then I am for it.
    - The strike zone is the single thing in American sports worse than NCAA basketball officiating.
    - I don't care about the roster size or the number of pitchers.  My sense is that outside of relief pitching or injuries, subs really aren't used in baseball.
    - The game needs to be on the clock.
    - The stats person in me says that 162 games are sacred.  
    ryebread said:

Or 155 as it was before 1961.  
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    What's broken about 162 games?  I'm curious on that.  What's the compelling argument to go to say 100 games?  It certainly wouldn't be a reduction in revenue.
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 11
    agree with ryebread: call the strikezone and the "pace of play" debate is over.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 671
    I heard Montreal wants the Expos back. 
    Wulfpack said:
    I heard Montreal wants the Expos back. 
    And Ben wants J-Lo back too.
  • HighstickHighstick PFN Referee Posts: 230
    ryebread said:

Yep...or players who aren't taking funny stuff.  
    Highstick said:
    ryebread said:

Yep...or players who aren't taking funny stuff.  
    Exactly.  Somewhat fun to watch in the moment, but a huge asterisk on that period of the game.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 348
    edited March 11
    My uncle used to umpire semi pro games in Roxboro and I got to batboy for Roxboro. Enos Slaughter was from Roxboro and his younger brother, Robert (Rabbit, he was called) played for Roxboro. It was quite a thrill for this kid when Enos Slaughter's brother would thank me or tousle my hair when I handed him his bat after he had a turn at the plate.

The team let me have a bat that had a small piece chipped off the barrel. Uncle helped me glue/tack it back on. Used it for a long time in pick-up games in the neighborhood.  ;)

As a teen I went down to Devereaux Meadow and hung around waiting for a ball fouled back over the stands so we boys had a ball to play with. IIRC Mel Ott played here one season. So did Carl Yastrzemski.

On a trip to visit Bethlehem Steel at Sparrow's Point in Baltimore, we took in an Oriole's game. During a run-down the man in front of us cheered at the wrong time and his girl friend yelled a him, "What the fuck's the matter wid you?" I guess you had to be there but we got a good laugh out of it. Yeah, we were in the cheap seats.

Back to lurking... 
  • Greywolf said:

As a teen I went down to Devereaux Meadow and hung around waiting for a ball fouled back over the stands so we boys had a ball to play with. IIRC Mel Ott played here one season. So did Carl Yastrzemski.
    Did the same at Devereaux Meadows, though probably 10 years later.  Raleigh's team at the time was affiliated with the Pirates, and I saw most of the players that would eventually win the World Series in 1979 (the We Are Family team) play in Raleigh. Later the Raleigh franchise would become a Phillies affiliate, and Greg Luzinski played part of a season here.  Cliff Johnson played when they became the Raleigh-Durham Triangles, and were affiliated with the Astros and Mets.  I saw Dick Mergler pitch a perfect game for the Pirates affiliates, and Ed Napoleon once hit a home run that carried over Capital Blvd.  He would eventually become the man who taught Bo Jackson how to hit.

As for foul ball chasing, did that at both Devereaux Meadows and Doak Field...lots of fun as the pack of kids all took off after a foul ball.