Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Fixing men's hoops a priority for new Wake AD

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- New Wake Forestathletic director John Currie is taking over a department that's on pretty solid overall footing -- except in men's basketball.

The basketball season ends well before Currie formally starts his new job on May 1, so retiring AD Ron Wellman said he will make any major decisions "if there are major decisions to be made" -- with both men saying Monday they'll keep an open line of communication during the transition.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26137104/fixing-men-hoops-priority-new-wake-ad

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 PFN Referee Posts: 1,894
    edited March 5
    Looks like Danny Manning and his room temperature IQ are out the door. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    Manning will be a very rich man as a result of Wellman's questionable hire and then doubling down with an extension.

We should pick him up as a big man coach/recruiter.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    The Ryan Fitzpatrick of CBB coaches
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Do some volunteer work with one of folks in Wake's Athletic Department.  He missed our meeting last night due to the announcement and someone joked that he was one who drew the short straw and had to now tell Manning.  

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,113
    edited March 6
    Maybe someone can ‘splain to me why Jim Currie is such a great hire for WFU.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/ut/2017/11/27/vols-fans-reject-john-currie-greg-schiano-can-they-trust-him-again/896919001/

Where is the moral outrage and votive candle crowd?

Folks I know that know the AD at the big four rate Wellman slightly ahead of Yow and head and shoulders above their Duke and UNC counterparts.

Maybe WFU will hire GOTT or Zach Smith...
    He's an alum...... But yeah, I don't think I'd be excited about Jim Currie.
  • edited March 6

When Manning was announced as WF’s next HC I remember reading someone on SFN who’s basketball opinion I respected say it was a good hire for WF and Manning would be successful.  Can’t remember who it was, but I immediately thought, ‘geez, I need to reassess whose opinion’s I value around here’ :).

daniel: :smiley:   Good one.  Manning was a "roll of the dice" hire.  He'd been a great recruiting big man coach at Kansas, but I didn't see enough at Tulane to suggest to me he'd win big at Wake.  His "break through" second season, they still lost 10 games non-conference.

Wellman's last two basketball searches were head scratching.  It looks like they're going to have someone else in place before the next one.

Having said that, Manning is 23-67 (.267) in the ACC as coach.  Five of those wins are against NC State.  Good lord............ Without State, Manning is 18-61 (.228).  He ought to send NC State some of that buy out money, or give us a good deal to be the big man coach.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 671
    Manning was at Tulsa, not Tulane. 

I was one that thought he’d be successful. I was not alone. We were wrong. 
    Thinking Manning would be successful or not is a 50/50 guess (not really, but stick with me).

Saying why or why not he would be (and being accurate) is another thing altogether.

For the record, I thought he would fare better than he has, although that was solely based upon him having some perceived degree of success previously. 

I'd love to know from someone with more expertise than I, why he hasn't done as well as many thought.
    Many deemed him to be one of, if not the best, big man coaches in college basketball. Many also deemed him to be one of the best recruiters in college basketball. 

Wake’s bigs have been nothing to write home about and the recruiting has been suspect. 

His in game coaching is poor, and he lacks energy. Compare his demeanor to that of a Buzz Williams for example - I know they are two different people, but one has life and looks like he loves his job, and the other looks like he’d rather be somewhere else. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    This could be the first order of business for the NC State AD as well
  • RickRick PFN Referee Posts: 1,125
    Texpack said:
    This could be the first order of business for the NC State AD as well

Not going to happen. His contact is loooong
    Wulfpack said:

His in game coaching is poor, and he lacks energy. Compare his demeanor to that of a Buzz Williams for example - I know they are two different people, but one has life and looks like he loves his job, and the other looks like he’d rather be somewhere else. 
    This is EXACTLY what I've seen, but I try not to watch them much either.
    Whoops.  Tulane/Tulsa.  The fingers typed quicker than the brain. :wink:

He was a big time recruiter (bag man?) for Kansas.  Maybe the FBI probe shows us how?  Because of the steady stream of talent rolling through, and Self’s system that is inside/out, defense and rebounding, he looked like a great big man coach.

I think he has recruited well at Wake and his recruiting has hurt State.  Our recruiting had kind of dried up before Gott was actually fired.  Heck he brought in bag man Butch Pierre and still didn’t have any recruits.   

Manning has landed the kids but then they depart quickly.  I think I read that he has had at least transfers.  The transfers are 4 star type players.  Much like Gott they seemingly show up, find something is amiss and check out.  I think I’d say the transfer issue is more the problem than the recruiting one.

It will be interesting to see how Wake plays this with the buyout.  I suspect Wellman will fire Manning before he is officially gone.

As for KK, there’s no way he doesn’t get at least 4.  There’s the contract but then there’s the uncertainty hanging over the program.  If we get probation, then he’s here through the duration of whatever that is.  My suggestion is to enjoy the ride and hope that recruiting picks up.
    Will Wade might be available for Wake...