Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Coach of the Year Honors

A couple games left in the regular season. Who do you have for coach of the year honors? I think it will be either Mack, Hamilton or Buzz Williams. 

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,075PFN Referee
    Mack in a walk
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    While I am very impressed with what Mack has done, I would be shocked if they gave it to him.  Buzz Williams because apparently you have to be in the league long enough to demonstrate that you are worthy enough to get the award.

Note: I thought Keatts deserved more votes last year
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,254
    Roy Williams will win it going away
    Texpack said:
    Roy Williams will win it going away
    After I posted my comment, I thought the same thing.  Roy beats Duke again, he wins it, Buzz in 2nd, Mack with a few consolation votes.  Makes ACC officiating look good, doesn't it?
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 929
    Roy Williams will not win it. They were supposed to be good (voted to finish third in the league) and guess what, they are good. 

The argument for Buzz is that he has kept that team in very strong position without Robinson - one of the best players in the league. 

I agree Mack is the clead front runner, but Lville appears to be slipping down the stretch. He has done wonders with that team though in a short amount of time. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,259PFN Referee

Buzz is a heck of a coach. I still don't understand how VT can get a known coach like that while we cannot.

Might as well give it to the blues. They get everything else.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,484PFN Referee
    my vote would be for Buzzzzzz
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,342
    Can I cast me ballot for Rick Pitino....or can someone please come and get my absentee ballot?

I’d vote Hamilton. 
    Who I think will win versus who should win it is a different question altogether.

I think the Assistant Coaches should vote for COY, but not be able to vote for their own team.

Who else know better what coaches have done the best job?
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 738
    Wulfpack said:
    I’d vote Hamilton. 
    Me too.  That's the team that has impressed me the most relative to talent.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 248PFN Referee
    edited March 6
    FSU's ACC record is inflated by having the easiest conference schedule.  

PS:  I'm not a Hamilton fan.
    They were projected to finish 7th, and will finish 4th. 
    If beating projections was a major factor, why did Keatts almost zero attention last year?

COY is like the block/charge call to me.  I think I know what the criteria is supposed to be, but the outcomes I see often don't match.
    The award is granted to the head coach voted to be most successful that season by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association, and since 2012-13 has been awarded in seperate voting by the league’s coaches. 

Bennet won it last year as the Hoos dominated the conference with a 17-1 record. The prior year it went to Pastner, who improve GT from 3-15 in Gregory’s last year to 8-10. Prior to that it was won by Larranaga on two occasions Bennett. 

It seems to be a split between going to coaches with improved seasons from the year prior or dominant seasons. 
    Strangely, I have heard from a good VT friend that Buzz Williams desires the Texas A&M job. Hokies should be taking a big step back next season. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,342
    Realize that this sexist thread is NCAAMB focused. If we follow Title IX guideline, then the following is presented

Pack’s Wes Moore is OK with Clemson’s Amanda Butler winning ACC Coach of the Year
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article227241144.html

I attended the Clemson game this year.  We had a substantial lead, relatively speaking.  The Clemson coach did not give up and recognized how tired the team was in the final quarter and pressed and defended and almost pulled it out.  My impression was that she wrote or scripted a game plane that would be used by other teams....which it has.

I also remember the tenacity of the lady.  She never quit coaching and motivating...

https://gopack.com/boxscore.aspx?id=16463&path=wbball

look at the stats.  Wes, in his vote, probably well remembered that game.  Exciting, but the result was not known until the final horn.

Bennett wins for the second year in a row and fourth overall:

Tony Bennett, Virginia, 30

Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech, 12

Roy Williams, North Carolina, 11

Leonard Hamilton, Florida State, 10

Chris Mack, Louisville, 7

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,254
    The Lounge Singer is becoming a legend
    Silly if you ask me. 
    As predicted, Chris Mack shown very little love (less than ORW).