Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Wade and Miller on the Hotseat

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 PFN Referee Posts: 1,894
    It's really not, because they are leaving U*NC, Dook, and Kansas completely alone.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 182
    KH-True for now...that is why I 'hope' that this is a beginning-we all know that the Blues and KU among many others are up to their necks in this.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,113
    Pack78,  Thanks,

Read the article and the "comments".  My thoughts mirror others.  WHAT pictures of WHICH NCAA Investigators doing WHAT with the Jupiter Day Spa associates does Self have?  Remember that the NCAA is not exactly the OLD FBI (pre 2008) or J. Edgar's domain).  Bill Gutheridge's old college roomy was the "Investigator" for the DT Pickup game that Dean Smith reported.  

I hope that SELF gets the same notification.....

Gottfried probably will also get one, but at least he ain't here no more and he will demand FIRST CLASS Travel for his testimony.  Right, Wrong, Indifferent (or with or without a SNIFF warning....) Debbie Yow was wise to put him in the boat and set it on fire and push it into the current....

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    I've thought multiple times that the willingness to move on Gott mid-season might be for other reasons.........

Will Wade was the coach that really scared me when we were looking this past time.  L$U was a much better "fit" for his services but I couldn't believe people pushing for Wade.

And I love the comments.  UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. are all far worse.  Let's see those coaches get indicted.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    At least so far it doesn’t look like anybody on Gott’s staff was recorded. Given the lack of subpoena power of the NCAA that may keep us technically clear as long as DSJ and family keep denying everything. 
    I predict that nothing will come of this.  The NCAA will, since they are a 3 or so hour drive from Chicago, determine that there were no payments or skullduggery and the entire thing was a poorly scripted HOAX....
    Oh yeah, the NCAA wants the whole thing to go away.  As does Nike.  As does ESPN.  Only the FBI’s involvement might change things....

Ironically Zion’s shoe may do more to change the system than anything else...
    edited February 28
    Could not decide where to post this....

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/yow-submits-letter-to-judge-in-federal-case-involving-payments-to-dennis-smith-jr/18223783/

Edit

have reread the article several times.  Sounds like  AD Yow is asking for the court to fine or get some of our money back.

Why are we NOT holding Gottfried settlement in escrow pending a full and complete investigation?

comments or ideas
  • ^ I have 0 legal experience but I wish that was an option.
    The N&O article is a little clearer.  We are asking for damages.  Interesting concept.  Since this is a “fraud” or bribery trial, I guess you can do that.  Pity you have to file a civil suit in a violent crime case.

NC State seeks $258,585 from former Adidas executive in federal fraud case
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article226898739.html

This seems like a very questionable move.  
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Rye, questionable how so?  

Not sure it gets any money back, but it may also provide value in the court of public opinion and possibly with the NCAA.

I'd be curious what our strategy and expectations are?
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 671
    edited March 1
    Maybe Yow should pay it because she is the one that bungled the search and hired the slimeball that is Gott? Her decision to hire that clown is the root cause of the tarnished reputation. Sorry, but that’s on her. Everybody knew who he was then and we all still know what he is now. 
  • RickRick PFN Referee Posts: 1,125
    Wulfpack said:
    Maybe Yow should pay it because she is the one that bungled the search and hired the slimeball that is Gott? Her decision to hire that clown is the root cause of the tarnished reputation. Sorry, but that’s on her. Everybody knew who he was then and we all still know what he is now. 

I agree with this. It is her biggest mistake as an AD. I hope it doesn't really come back to bite us. If it does then I consider her time here a failure.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 361
    Granted it was one of her poorer decisions but to paint her whole time at state by that one bad decision is a bit harsh IMO.  People make mistakes.  Rick, I certainly wouldn't want my employment based on one bad decision when my whole body of work resulted in a great many good outcomes.  You have to hand it to her on this though.  Unlike uncle Jed when things went south she pulled the trigger in a hurry.  The jury is till out on his replacement but IMO he's WAY better.
    edited March 1
    Rick said:
    Wulfpack said:

I agree with this. It is her biggest mistake as an AD. I hope it doesn't really come back to bite us. If it does then I consider her time here a failure.

OR....

Maybe we ought to be seeking reparations from Gary Williams who torpedoed our search from the getgo as AD Yow had the audacity to ask him to quit polishing his ONE NCAA ring and attending self fondling events with the MD folks and FOCUS on recruiting and coaching and WIN another.

While we’re about it, send half the bill to the Prince of Shakedowns, Shaka, for allowing his wife to cancel checks that his mouth had written.  

Gary fired a salvo that hurt early and the rest of the coaching community, like the assassinations of social media today, piled on.

Gott said he was a “redeemed” man and Elizabeth was in his corner right up until he was poking anything that would drop their undies.  I talked to her in Dayton after our two wins there...she was a WOLFPACKER of the first order.  You could tell that she was THEN 100% mesmerized by Gott by their interactions as we spoke.  I’m NOT defending Gott...but he was a ladies CON man of the first order....

I guess we should also tar and feather AD Yow  for “negotiations” with ONE athletic apparel company and NCSU getting a contract versus ORW & Mikey and others benefiting from THEIR stardom.

The Adidas deal was heralded by the press as one where the UNIVERSITY did well...rather than one select employee.

THAT is why she sent the letter....along with the PR.  We have NOT spent 2.5 Million for a PR firm like SOME we know.

EOR.  Soap box being put back in closet...

I get my opinion is not a popular one. But Gott was a bad hire. He is a known scum bag I do not care if he said "I have changed".

But like I said, if, note the if, it leads to a punishment I feel it taints her legacy. I know many of you disagree.

I would suggest that he became a “bad hire” AFTER he fell off the wagon.  I was aware that we had a commitment from a “excellent “ coach right after midnight (early Monday am) as I had been emailing AD Yow.  Figured out who is was probably gonna be.  There was only ONE rumor or post on the ENTIRE internet about the Country Club incident.  Elizabeth was publicly behind him and she had also called talk radio shows defending him.  THAT was all that was out there.  Some verbal gossip...but not. Massive body of evidence.

Again, defending AD Yow, Gott had really focused on staying current as a coach when he was at ESPN.  He had expanded his “notebook “.  Many coaches commented on how he was “grilling” them in interviews....way more than he needed for ESPN.

AD Yow was friends with his family.  THEY had forgiven and moved on.  

My my gripe is that when Gott started to regress....it should have been time to cut the cord.  His FIRST contract had an automatic extension for making the Sweet Sixteen.

After that, Debbie did not get enough caffeine to see the real picture.  When Elizabeth moved out, we should have been more wary.

I KNOW that if she had any inkling bout the DSJ funny business, she would have thrown him OUT of the helicopter and sent him packing.

Her legacy is outstanding....and every time I go to Reynolds, I thank her.  She also restored a lot of stature to our overall Athletic program....something that many of the old time Salem Witch Hunter’s NCSU chapter still are irked about.

We see the same events differently....no offense to your insights, but I see the glass half full

Roo,

I appreciate your view. I agree she has done a lot for NCSU.

I just happen to think the Gott ending was very predictable. Scum bag poon chasers with no morals do not change.

• 4in124in12 Posts: 108
    ... There was only ONE rumor or post on the ENTIRE internet about the Country Club incident.  ...
    Can you please explain "the Country Club incident"? I don't understand that reference. 
    It was hiring a crony and personal friend.  He fell "off the wagon" many, MANY times and still had his contract foolishly extended.
    edited March 1
    With respect to why I think this lawsuit of Adidas is questionable, we signed that deal with Adidas.  As Sonny V. has said, NC State took their money.  This is public posturing, but it could backfire horribly. 

Seemingly all Adidas has to do is roll out some paperwork that said Early was involved and not only does that lawsuit go away, the pile of trash just gets deeper for NC State.  We seemingly got off a little lucky that the conversation was "only" about DSJ because those Martin twins, Kapita, Yurt, Mav, etc. all have either shown up in excel spreadsheets, emails, or had to get cleared due to "issues," etc..   

That lawsuit is playing with fire.  It's raising the stakes while sitting on a 2/7 off suit..... And it's lining up with Louisville and Kansas -- both of whom have more to lose and have more publicly been drug through the mud.

As for Gott, respectfully it is BS that we didn't know that Gott was a bad man prior to hiring him.  Anyone who had followed Alabama (and I had) knew he was a bad man.  The guy got fired midseason from his alma mater due to extra-curricular activities, as well as an under performing program.  So if we "didn't know about this," then I question how hard we looked.

I fully believe that Yow felt like Gott as a redeemed man.  Given there's no way she didn't know (particularly given the personal relationship she claims she had with him), she knew he was incredibly high risk.  The only way she'd have made the hiring decision was one in desperation, but with assurance from Gott (and likely his wife) that he was a changed man.

It wasn't just the hire though.  It was how we managed Gott through his time at NC State.  Yow (and others at NC State) made a lot of mistakes along the way.  

I don't think Gott's enough to make her be viewed as bad for NC State.  She's done a great job.  I do think it likely is an asterisk though.

edited March 1
    Hiring Gott isn't what would harm her legacy. Hiring Gott and having it end up with some type of punishment would imo. Again, that's only if it happens. 
    agree with both Rick and Rye.

I have qualms with everything Yow did re Gottfried.  And, of course the "pity party" letter, which is an indelible black mark on her tenure.

Keeps her grade at no better than a B, for me.
  • Tau837Tau837 Posts: 44
    edited March 1
    Just like in discussions about basketball and football head coaching positions, discussion of athletic directors must be put into proper historical context.

Yow 2010-present
    Fowler 2000-2010
    Robinson 1996-2010
    Turner 1990-1996
    Valvano 1986-1989
    Casey 1969-1986

We can presumably all agree that Casey was an outstanding AD. But he retired from that position 33 years ago. In between him and Yow, we had 4 ADs, and none of them compared to Yow.

(V was an elite basketball coach, but not such a great AD.)

No doubt the worst part of Yow's tenure as State's AD was that first coaching search, the letter, and the Gott hire. As Roo pointed out, there were some mitigating factors that hurt (Gary Williams and Shaka's wife), but she is still accountable and has to own those mistakes.

But to say her tenure could possibly be viewed as a failure because of that, with everything else she accomplished? SMH. It is obvious that some fans have some seriously unrealistic expectations. It is just as unlikely we will ever see another Casey as State AD as it is that we will ever see another Valvano as NC State head coach.

If Yow was "no better than a B," I would be pretty damn happy if Corrigan is a B.