Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

LOCKETT ARRESTED FOR ASSAULT.....Not Good news.

From WRAL:

Eric Lockett, a basketball player with NC State University, has been charged with assault on a woman, court records show.

Lockett, 23, was being held in the Wake County Detention Center on Wednesday morning.

Lockett is an NC State senior and a guard on the team.

Comments

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,342
    edited February 14
    Well,

That would explain why he was “out for a personal matter”.

Blake Harris, I think, was listed as “sick”

This is NOT good....

https://www.cbs17.com/sports/nc-state/nc-state-basketball-s-eric-lockett-arrested-charged-with-assault-on-a-female/1781133403

Don’t know the protocols but assume it is serious enough for him to be arraigned and a judge, not a magistrate, has to consider bond, restraint orders, etc.  I hope that the framed Jersey that was probably already on order can be canceled without a substantial penalty as it appears, on the surface, that he will not be reinstated.....but I keep forgetting....we are NOT UNC or Duke.....
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,254
    He gone!
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 129
    He is in jail without bond....this is bad.  His whole career maybe gone.  Just hope Harris isn't caught up in this.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 575
    We also had a player leave the team. Keatts has not done a good job bringing in kids who are either going to stay or who can stay so far. Hopefully, he can right the ship.
    edited February 14
    For the record, which is in other threads 

Lockett arrested and unavailable 

Sacha K-Jones.  KENTUCKY (previously listed as Louisville in error due to HBB KK's connections in the KENTUCKY sandbox....SORRY.... Good Eye GSOPackBacker) transfer sitting out this season has departed.  No longer part of program 

Blake Harris was listed as SICK

There may be scout squad tryouts.  

Steere left after first game due to perceived “handwriting on wall on PT....pursuing other programs”

• SKJ was from Kentucky fwiw.

Not sure if it was anything unusual, but Keatts and his staff gathered at Backyard Bistro after the game.  Let's hope that they have figured out a strategy to handle an even shorter bench.  

Side note, Coach Keatts again gets my kudos as he and his staff were gladly willing to take a moment for a picture with my nephew (State grad) and my brother (Syracuse fan ... yes, but he was born there and my Dad went there).

If the Coach continues to act the "right" way, the players and program will follow.   All things in time...I hope.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 175
    He is in jail without bond....this is bad.  His whole career maybe gone.  Just hope Harris isn't caught up in this.
    He'll get a bond no later than this am.  A community college judge...aka, magistrate can not set bonds on domestic issues.  Nothing out of the ordinary and does not speak to any severity of the accusations.  

Peace out Erick
    One thing about Lockett's arrest....at LEAST it was reported and he WAS arraigned....if the Duke program had not pulled strings early on, then the VA Government Structure would not be in such a turmoil.  Starting back in the days of Jimmy V., we don't allow no special treatment of our athletes.....LOCK EM UP....  We have a 30 year record of NO PREFERENCIAL Treatment....

Don't know how this will turn out....but Lockett and ALL our Athletes should show better judgement and control their anger.....go cut a car in half with a Nail File and be known later on as "Nail File" Lockett....
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 236
    I recall some lively debates with regards to Gott’s As The World Turns soap opera with transfers out and transfers in.  I’m a little surprised that it hasn’t been brought up to date with KK.  To be clear, I want KK to have complete control over his players which I don’t think really existed with the wood chopper, Lowe or Gott.  So, I don’t care if he goes down to 4 players with Roo coming out of the stands to drain some 3’s.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 706PFN Referee
    I Hope the fact based truth comes out on what happened whatever happened.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 129
    I don't know how bail works only was reported held without bond:

Raleigh, N.C. — After being arrested and charged with assault, Eric Lockett has been suspended from NC State's basketball team, head coach Kevin Keatts said.

Lockett was arrested Thursday morning. Arrest records say he hit his ex-girlfriend in the face.

The woman, Saskia Guilbaud, said Lockett hit her during a fight on Tuesday in his apartment on Western Boulevard.

She said she swung at him first, and then he held her down. Guilbaud said she kicked him to try to escape.

She said Lockett threatened to kill her if she kept kicking him, but she said she didn’t think the threat was serious.

She said Lockett elbowed her in the eye, grabbed her throat and then let her go.

"I don't think he was actually going to kill me," she said. "I think he just said it in the heat of the moment."

"I think he made a stupid mistake out of impulse," she said.

Guilbaud said an Uber driver called 911 on her behalf.

She said she wanted the charges to be dropped.

Lockett, 23, was being held in the Wake County jail on Wednesday morning without bond.

So a professor from Chapel Hill called the cops?
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/after-assault-charge-eric-lockett-suspended-from-nc-state-s-basketball-team/18191595/

OK....what do you do if your GF takes a swing at you or threatens to kill you and won't stop and you hold her down.  You SHOUT for her to stop and then try to rationally tell her that if she continues to assault you, you may have to use deadly force to protect yourself.  NOW if Eric was carrying a CW, he could have done this....and the law protects you.

BUT, he retaliated....and the Uber driver called the cops.  SINCE it was (SARCASM) an NCSU Athlete, the RPD has to INVESTIGATE AND CHARGE....even though the GF stated she started it and that she wanted the charges DROPPED.

I hate to be old fashioned but the #MeToo movement, as expected, has gone a bit too far....

Wonder how this will play out....?  YEAH....right....we KNOW.....the GF will recant the comments.  WRAL has reporters on the scene and Sky Five is hovering overhead...

I AM NOT CONDONING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, but I have seen females that got so mad (and rightly so) at me that they would have caused great bodily harm if they could have caught me...  This was NOT some type of sexual assault....Case in point.  Squirt you wife with a hose when she was hot and sweaty after yard work.....kids and the neighbors were cheering for us as we did 5 laps around the house.  That was 49 years ago.....and I will be able to outrun her in the future....now I just say YES and NO, MAAM....and make sure that all the FA's are locked in the safe...

• RickRick Posts: 1,259PFN Referee

Lockette indefinitely suspended.

Given how long it takes to investigate something I cannot image he plays again.

edited February 14
    The following is dripping in sarcasm.....with a few real world facts thrown in....

Wonder if we could get to Zion’s GF and “entice” her to take a swing?  Maybe Saturday AM....

This mess did not go on when the Sweet Caroline’s and the Dixie Dukes were providing the required services....

We need to take a page out their playbook and come up with our own “satisfaction squad”
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 239
    I'd rather lose to the blues than set up a teen-age undergrad hooker squad at State.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 738
    Some thoughts:
    - I would suggest hearing all sides before condemning.  Domestic disputes always have two sides.
    - If he's in jail, he's suspended indefinitely.  That should be the case.  If it clears, then he can come back, though I doubt it clears any time soon.
    - I like that we seemingly hold players accountable, though in this sort of situation there was little other choice.
    - The Kentucky transfer is one I want more details on.  It is seemingly too late to be grade related.  Why would a kid sit out all this time and then just quit?  I wasn't expecting all world, but I was expecting 8-10 pts and rebounds a game.
    - Steere's move was short sighted by he and his handlers.  I thought so at the time and I still think so.  If it were a concern regarding playing style, he'd have seemingly never committed.  It was seemingly looking at minutes.  The minutes have been there and it was obvious that they would have been in ACC play.  That one stings.
    - SK + Steere leaves us thin in the middle next year, but not really any thinner than we are now.  Wyatt has another year and Thunder seems like he'll be back.  Add in Bates and we are up to three.  Add in a late player and we could get to four.  It is almost better that we know now so we can go for late additions, and maybe that's why things are being made known now?
    - There are some rocks being chucked at KK regarding transfers/retention as well as comparison to Gott, but I wonder if people are thinking of the bigger landscape of college basketball (50% transfer) and the fact that our roster is filled with kids we think are actually going to play.  We had 13 scholarships and used 13 scholarships on "real" players.  Two just happened to be sitting this year on their transfer (but likely gave the program way more than any walk on would have).  Gott would not give out over 10 scholarships, so when he had a guy leave, it was of much larger impact.  Apples to oranges there.
    - I will say there's often some risk with transfers.  On the one hand they're likely not transfering again, and you've got a bit of "try before you buy" in that there's film against D1 teams in a structured game.  On the other hand for the "regular" transfer (not graduate), they've already had expectations not match performance/reality once that led to a "divorce."  Much as in a failed marriage, there were reasons, and that next partner needs to be aware of them.  This isn't about Lockette, as much as it was SK.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 239
    Rye, like your thoughts. I agree KK and Gott are different beasts - in many ways. My only concern with KK is that he seemingly has a player (Batts last year, Harris this year) who is highly rated who can't get on the court. Is that because the kid doesn't live up to his part in practice or something else? It's a small sample size, and even though I don't count Steere in this, I do wonder if he started to see that and left.

Hard to tell from the outside without any insider knowledge. For now, I'll have to trust Keatts. I really like the guy.

But I remember the Damien Wilkins situation. At the time, I backed HWSNBN'ed. But with hindsight, I don't think the coach knew anything about offense outside of Princeton. We only went to the Sweet 16 because Julius Hodge waived off a timeout and drove the ball to score. Take a TO there, do the weave and chuck, and we don't score and go to OT.
    Twitter is saying skj is going to unc.

Huh? Isn't there a two year ban for inter conference transfers
    Rick said:
    Twitter is saying skj is going to unc.

Huh? Isn't there a two year ban for inter conference transfers
    I think I saw that his Mom works there.  Is there some discounted tuition for employees kids?  Might walk-on.  Would that void the waiting period?
    To add a little salt to the poached wound

HBBC KK had a tentative commitment from a Hargrove player.  We did not have a scholly available, so the kid was going to stay at Hargrove for another year.

Capel of PITT fame convinced him to sign up.  He is, I think, a starter or gets a lot of PT

Had we not been committed to Steere or SKJ..... might have been different.

Win once or twice and lose a lot.....
  • SKJ to UNC? Seems like that would add credence to academic rigor theory being floated around.  :p 

The above is intended solely as humor, well mostly. 
    To add a little salt to the poached wound

HBBC KK had a tentative commitment from a Hargrove player.  We did not have a scholly available, so the kid was going to stay at Hargrove for another year.

Capel of PITT fame convinced him to sign up.  He is, I think, a starter or gets a lot of PT

Had we not been committed to Steere or SKJ..... might have been different.

Win once or twice and lose a lot.....

That's why it's costly to have kids leave. It's not just losing what you have but also what you could have. I would like to hear money details before making any judgement. 

The fact nothing has come out makes me think skj is at fault. If not he would be cawing about it.

Interesting browsing on GoPack.  Seems like we STILL have two players that appear, based on the “NEWS”, to be on the OFFICIAL ROSTER.  Lockett & Jones are there.  Also SKJ’s home town is Chapel Hill.  Wonder if someone’s (MOTHER) was pressured or coerced into “changing” her son’s mind?

I believe that prior to the Duke game, Braxton Beverly will be accused of running over a stray puppy with his hover board....that was escaping a crazed male coyote that thought the little critter was his next mate.  The SPCAA will stage a votive candle protest outside Cameron complete with pots and pans and decry Braxton for his cruelty.....no word on the GoFundMe site to fly, via Corporate Jet, the little puppy back to his original family that moved to Venezuela and found out he would be on the MickeyD menu if they had tried to bring him with them.

Yes, 2 hours of grueling PT does impact your sense of humor and sarcasm....