Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Virginia Tech Game Thread

12345679»

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    Ugly, ugly game, though I did appreciate the effort and the defense.  I think the book is out on State:
    - We do not shoot that well.  

- Even when we were pounding cupcakes, the halfcourt offense stunk.  We had several cupcake games where we got up big, then turned off the press and focused on the half court.  We couldn’t distance ourselves from weak teams.  In conference play, teams are getting back and not letting us run.  They’re also packing it in and inviting us to shoot over (which we will do at anything that remotely looks open). It is ugly.

- I see a deep team that plays hard.  I don’t see a lot of top line talent.  This team is on the level of the Mav/Twins team, or maybe the Sid team led by Tracey Smith with respect to the actual talent playing.  Outside of Markell, I don’t see a guy on our team that would start for Duke/UNC/UVA/Louisville.

Oh well.  On to the next one.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    edited February 3
    anybody want to make the tar-butt-hole game thread go for it.  may be good to mix up the mojo for it
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    NEWS FLASH....

This just came in from the Dark Web....

Hokie Engineering Students together with some Tech Frat boys over-inflated today's gameballs to 9 psi -- regulation, you know, is 8 psi -- and embedded microchips that allowed them to redirect shots slightly, and alter the temperature and humidity of the PNC,  from their cellphones in Blacksburg...

Their peers at State have since asked them how much it would cost to duplicate that in the Nose Dome Tuesday night...

Technology is a b#tch....

POP!!!

It’s late.  I’m still in mourning.  But I must add a touch of reality to your comments.  

First, RH (Relative Humidity) would impact the sweat or moisture on a player’s hands (or other parts of the body).  No impact on inflation.

Second, Micro chips would be great.  I think I watched the same Hawaii 50 that you did where. Microchip, embedded, in an object...without any means of propulsion would not really impact the path of said object.  However, a gyroscope inside the sphere with an adjustable Y axis (think the earth) COULD impact the anticipated flight path and alter the attitude (Yaw & Pitch....but I was weak in the MEA course).  Possible.  They probably got help from “M” on such.  He’s been laid off as there are no new Bond adventures in production.

Inflation.  We MH owners have this aversion to tires blowing out and causing us to crash.  A MH tire is HIGHLY susceptible to a blow out.  Probably 5 to 10 times MORE than an OTR rig (18 Wheeler) or a bus.  Simple.  Daily driving and good tire pressure monitoring will keep tires inflated.  I KNOW your GD or some other wise person told you that a tractor or trailer tire will leak down MORE if it sits than if it gets used.

Bottom line....I ain’t no Tom Brady fan, but the NFL is full of it when they pay these retired athletes to write rules.  I and a PhD (Chemistry) both developed a spread sheet for determining the interior temperature of a tire so we KNEW if it increased in pressure by a certain Delta P, that the tire was overheating and was in the failure mode.  I had to relearn stuff I glossed over at State.

IF the NFL was serious about proper game ball inflation, then they would require a hot/cold box and set it for the anticipated ambient field temperature and then do a 24 hour thermal soak and inflated them to the “rule book” pressure at THAT temperature....not the locker room.

So if the spec is 13.0 +/- 0.5 PSI....and you inflated a FB to that at 13.0 @ 75 DF, then took it outside to an ambient of 40 DF....it would measure around 11.6 PSI....which is almost ONE PSI below the low tolerance.  This was also proven and my Excel sheet verified the experiment.

https://blog.mide.com/deflategate-how-temperature-can-influence-pressure-in-a-football

Based on the rule of thumb that equates to a 3% decline in pressure for every 10 DF reduction, then if the BB was inflated at 75 DF ambient to the spec of 8 PSI, the PNC temperature would need to be increased to approximately 118 DF (home water heater temp) to get the reported 9 PSI.  BUT, with M’s assistance, you COULD have a small heater inside powered by a Lithium Bunny and heat up the ball.

I have the utmost confidence in the NCSU Engineering students....I wuz ONCE one.  BUT I also know that their ethics overrule tampering with equipment for undeserved advantage.  The Votive Crowd UNC folks do not have the background or understanding or resources to employ such.

Glad you were able to enlighten us with the real story behind the fiasco today....

BANG (saw your POP and raised you a POP)

Good Night

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    Could have been worse.  From Wikipedia -- /sarc on/ my source for "accurate information"/sarc off/:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina–Duke_rivalry

Duke 7, UNC 0 at the end of the first half on 2/24/1979 in Durham.  Both teams then scored 40 points in the second half.

BTW, just gave an apples to orange comparison.  But I remember how enjoyable it was to see UNC score zero points in a half of basketball.
  • DVR'd the game due to having the grandkids over.  Watched about 30 minutes then cut it off.  It was a great day with the grandkids.  That's all I've got to say.

• I didn't watch the game (thankfully).  But in watching other games, I am confused as to why we don't spend more effort getting the ball to Fundy in the low post.  He seems to be underutilized, to my eye.  A good inside option tends to really help the half court offense.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    I texted my Mom to make sure my Dad didn’t watch when he got home from dialysis yesterday. I made peace with this season and the NIT after the mile swim yesterday. 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    Dunno if the team needs a kick in the pants or a pat on the back after that.  Has to be quite embarrassing for the kids as much as the staff.

That's why we pay 'em the big bucks!
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 141
    I was running errands so I DVR-ed the game. Saw the half time score while having lunch at a great little beer/wine/deli place. Thought WTF? Later, got a text from a good friend who's a Duke grad: "24 points????". Got home and deleted the recording.

I like BotB's conspiracy theory but I though it might involve the rim emitting a force field.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    oh, and I am glad to write the Holes gameday thread, as long as TAT doesn't mind pointless rambling (and it can wait until tomorrow).
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee

Matt Norlander @MattNorlander

3m

Yesterday NC State, the 23rd-ranked team in college basketball, scored only 24 points — at home.

Perhaps even more embarrasing: Sixty-one players outscored the Wolfpack on Saturday.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    There’s a kid at Campbell averaging close to 29 a game. Just moved past Bird and Hansbrough on the all time scoring list. 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    oh, and I am glad to write the Holes gameday thread, as long as TAT doesn't mind pointless rambling (and it can wait until tomorrow).
    Thanks, BJD!  New mojo can't hurt.  To make it a PFN Centerpiece that gets stickied to to the top you have to select the "Announce In Wolfpack Sports and recent discussions" radio button.  I think you have the permissions to that.  If not I can do it later!
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 101
    Dunno if the team needs a kick in the pants or a pat on the back after that.  Has to be quite embarrassing for the kids as much as the staff.

That's why we pay 'em the big bucks!
    Pat on the back.  The fan reaction is going to be worse than anything a coach could dream up.
  • bill_onthebeachbill_onthebeach Posts: 268
    edited February 3
    fwiw...  temperature and humidity affect the air resistance (drag) on the ball inflight....
    everybody who grew up playing outside 12 months out of the year knows that...

Thinking about it a bit...

If my goal was to beat the over/under in a basketball game, and not the outcome, for gambling purposes, I wouldn't use technology.

I'd use some chemistry....

Mix up and melt some long chain oils with high gel temperatures (70-75*F).
    Inject that into basketball, then with air to 8 psi.

Store the balls at 50-60*.

The oils gel and being heavier than air separate from the air.

Sitting in a rack, the oil collects at the bottom of the ball, thus adding it's weight -- maybe 1-2 ozs, thus making the ball "off center" when dribbled, passed or shot and when bouncing off the rim on game day.

In an arena with an ice floor... that should be 'interesting'...

Obviously, it would take some lab work and field tests to get the numbers right, but...

Chances of detection post game should be reduced significantly over a 'technology' driven approach.

GO PACK!
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    NC State drops out of AP Poll.  Does NOT get any votes.

Out of Top 25 in Coaches.  Does get votes.

Girding our loins will hardly make much difference tomorrow night.  Major effort and win needed.