Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Virginia Cavaliers Game Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,509PFN Referee
I don't believe anybody is giving us a chance to win this one against UVA, even playing in the friendly confines of PNC.  The Wahoo's only loss on the season was by 2 points in Cameron.  In the rest of their match-ups they've pretty much beaten the brakes off their opponents.

We'll likely be needing that Cardiac Pack "magic" (and then some) to carry over from the previous game to even have a chance at pulling this one off.  A victory on Tuesday, however, would be a huge win to point to on our resume come Selection Sunday.

Comments

• 44rules44rules Posts: 248
    Easy peezy. Instead of breaking through the Packline defense, Cap'n Beverly just needs to loft a bunch of 27 footers.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,509PFN Referee
    We managed to stay in the AP rankings.. slid down a couple spots to #23 but we are still in there.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 195
    44rules said:
    Easy peezy. Instead of breaking through the Packline defense, Cap'n Beverly just needs to loft a bunch of 27 footers.
    Crazy as it seems, that is likely our only chance.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,415
    Hey....what's with the negativity....?  ESPN says we got a 20% shot....so that should be OK....

BUT, I recall that we were slightly more favored for UNC or maybe one other home game and THAT was a really bad prediction....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401082772

Best I can tell, we are a 8 - 10 point UNDERDOG....which is about where I would have pegged it....but they gotta play the game unless they revert to Computer Simulations.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,111PFN Referee
    We just have to beat VPI.  Wahoowa is a killer matchup, as are the Holes.  5-5 after this stretch, and I will feel ok.  6-4, and I'm over the moon.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 788
    This is the worst game match up wise of the season.  Heck we match up better against Duke and the mighty Zion.  I don’t see us winning this one but would love to be surprised.  We just don’t shoot well enough nor do we properly value the ball.

The VT game is critical. I still think we can finish top 6 in the league.  We’re a game behind schedule (WF).  We need to find a win from one of the teams currently ahead.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 959
    We haven’t been moving the ball well of late. If that continues against the Hoos we’re looking at a beat down. 
    ryebread said:
    This is the worst game match up wise of the season.  Heck we match up better against Duke and the mighty Zion.  I don’t see us winning this one but would love to be surprised.  We just don’t shoot well enough nor do we properly value the ball.

The VT game is critical. I still think we can finish top 6 in the league.  We’re a game behind schedule (WF).  We need to find a win from one of the teams currently ahead.
    Definitely agree the VT game is huge. 
    Wulfpack said:
    We haven’t been moving the ball well of late. If that continues against the Hoos we’re looking at a beat down. 

The ball has been getting “stuck” in the half court most of the year.  I like pick and roll basketball as much as the next person but we seem to do it exclusively.  I would love a 3 pass minimum in the half court.

The problem against UVA will be no run outs, no breaks, etc..  Our halfcourt offense is the weakest part of our game and we’re going to run it every time down.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,277
    Wulfpack said:
    ryebread said:

Definitely agree the VT game is huge. 
    If we don’t beat VT we don’t make the tournament. 
  • At least MJ is back in the line up.  Without him we have no chance.  So I am saying ....we have a chance. Let's hope everyone rises to the occasion instead of just one or two players. This will have to be an incredible effort by all.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,297PFN Referee
    I don't plan to watch this game. I truly despise watching uva play. The way they are allowed to grab and push is atrocious. The funny thing is I like Bennett a ton but his style of basketball is brutal to watch. 
    Uva has the "reputation" of being a great defensive team so they get away with the fouling. We do not. Oh the thrills of playing in the ACC. 

Btw the ACC sucks
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,111PFN Referee
    the only thing I like about Bennett-ball is that he genuinely threatens the Blues.  And seems like a good dude.
  • SQLWolfSQLWolf Posts: 90
    edited January 29
    I agree with Rick. Watching UVA play is a painful experience. I hope our boys can bring their best game and leave behind all the low BBall-IQ shenanigans. LET'S DO THIS! KKIAW! GO PACK!

P.S. I'll DVR this game, cuz it's just too hard to watch the team in stripes perform poorly every outing. ...ACC Refs suck.
    I'm split on Bennett.  He's likeable and has won big at Washington State and UVA which is tough to do.  I respect him and think he's a Hall of Famer at his current trajectory.

I absolutely hate his brand of basketball, with all the pushing and shoving and fouling that happens on every single play.  What happened to freedom of player movement?  What happened to the whistle?  It's like Wisconsin, Kansas and Michigan State (all teams I also hate) and the Duke of old -- foul on every play and dare the refs to call them all. 

It seems like the whistle is only tweeting on NC State this year.  I'm waiting for KK to go ballistic on some ACC refs like K did.  We're playing aggressively, but we're getting whistled for way more than our share.  It is like the ACC league office is trying to put us back in our place because we look like we might rise up and challenge the blues.

Bennett also almost single handedly killed Pac 10/12 basketball when he was at Wazzou.  The entire league decided if they "couldn't beat them, they'd join them" and played ugly stall ball.  They've still not fully recovered as a league from that little experiment.  My biggest concern when he came to UVA was this very thing and I posted this on the old site.  I'd have traded Sid for Bennett in a second (back then some NC State fans on our old site actively debated this), but was worried the ACC would have the same thing happen to it that the Pac 12 did.  Thankfully it has not, and it is the only nice thing that I'll say about Roy, K and Pitino.  At least we all haven't devolved to this lowest common denominator as a league.

I also think that UVA is very vulnerable in the tournament and wasn't surprised when they lost the 1/16 game last year.  They'd almost lost their first game in one of the the previous years in a very similar fashion.  Get in the tournament, away from the friendly whistle, run into a hot shooting team with some older players, and it is lights out.  The protection by ACC officiating is really doing them no favors on the big stage.

My final thought on Bennett is that isn't it about time for him to move on?  UCLA is open, and the pros surely have to be giving him a look as well.  It'd be great for the league as a whole for him to find a greener pasture.
    UVA only a 7 point favorite tonight
  • realpackfanrealpackfan Posts: 100
    The way to win this game is to not dig a hole coming out of the gate.  Play sharp and even and then we have a shot at it. 
    edited January 29
    UVA only a 7 point favorite tonight

A 7 point lead in a UVA game is like a 20 point lead in a normal game.

Ugh I hate watching them play. He perfected what Herb was trying to do.

edited January 29
    A 7 point lead in a UVA game is like a 20 point lead in a normal game.

Oh I agree.  I'm just surprised the line is that low.  In their ACC wins so far this season they are winning by an average of 22 points.

If we cover the spread I'll consider that a moral victory.

• Well, I second the crowd that isn't a fan of watching Bennett's teams play. But I disagree that they grab and clutch more than the other guy. There are plenty of teams out there playing the PackLine D, and some other really good ones, too. 30 years ago, it was just called fundamental basketball--stay between the man and the basket, move your feet, communicate, and help your teammate. Law of percentages says a shot further away from the basket is a more difficult one, so force them to beat you from outside, and make them work for baskets. In my opinion, UVA excels on that end because offenses have become atrocious. The ball screen offense shows a lack of creativity. It may work in the pros (i rarely watch the NBA), where you've got tons of athletes who can score from all over the floor, but college players aren't that skilled and those that are don't stick around. Bennett's teams force people to move the ball (with the pass), something most teams cannot do well in the half court, including our own, too often. Note, KK said his UNC-W team that had success against them spread them out, beat them with quickness, and shot the ball well. That's the recipe if you cannot pass it well, and your half court offense sucks.

I like Bennett's teams shot selection. Rarely, do you ever see his teams take poor shots. They work the clock and work for good shots. They know their roles. Non-shooters don't shoot 3s, especially early ones. They make fewer mistakes than their opponents. Are they vulnerable, yes. Because they slow the game to fewer possessions. And in tourney play, you're going to run into really good teams and players. That simple.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 195
    The Pack finally start making 3's routinely again, Markel finds his shot, we destroy the defensive boards and win in stellar fashion.  I'd say we are due but life has taught me NC State appears to never be due.  Anyway, let's get it

GHG,

A few years ago I was home from work sick so I was watching the ACC preview show. It was when UVA had that really good white kid (Joe something maybe). They were interviewing him on defense. He was showing the reporter how they play and his statement was they were taught to hold the players arm and guide him away from the baseline. He literally was showing how they are taught to grab a player and drag him where they want him to go. Watch how they play "defense". They do have good fundamentals but going around picks they hedge illegally. They grab players. They use their hands to guide them. It is everything wrong with current college basketball.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 254PFN Referee
    I like that Bennett can beat Duke/UNC on the court even though he isn't beating them on the recruiting trail.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,415
    Interesting shot last night in Duke v ND game. Midway, memory, in the second half when there was question about outcome....  Mikey is standing next to ref during play.  I swear he had his left hand sort of hooked around ref’s right arm on the pit of the elbow.  Chatting away.  Not ranting.  It looked like how he would get the attention of a player and provide a quick critique.

Only The Godfather gets away with that.

Will be there.....good, bad or ugly....it ain’t gonna be indifferent 
    I really don’t get the dislike of Bennett. Yea, the style is unconventional. But is it effective? You bet your behind it is. In this era of one and doners, one on one, etc., he is the anecdote. He doesn’t get credit for how efficient his teams have become offensively. He is defintely headed for the Hall of Fame.