Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Guy Clark and Other Great Music, Redux

AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Posts: 74PFN Referee
edited September 2018 in Wolfpack Sports
Saw mention of the old Guy Clark thread and thought I would open a new version...I've been tuning in to a lot of great singer-songwriters lately, guys like James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen, and especially Ray Wylie Hubbard.  They are all great, and check them out if you like Guy Clark.  

• Joshua Hedley, "Mr. Jukebox".  This guy is compared to Jim Reeves, and with good reason.  If you're a fan of the 1960's sound in country -- a solid pocket with a lot of skill in front on guitar and slide, this guy is for you.  He's on Third Man Records, Jack White's label.

• James McMurtry, "Choctaw Bingo" - a song about N. Texas/Oklahoma's meth-lands. The video shows the places mention in the song.  Check out Ray Wylie Hubbard's bluesier version.  McMurtry opened for Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit earlier this year at DPAC.

• Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Bad Ass Rockin" - this guy is all about the Texas blues, and is a great storyteller. If a snake farm sounds nasty to you, it pretty much is.  I am contemplating a trip to Austin just to see Ray Wylie, he's getting on in years but still plays shows mostly in Texas.  Think ZZ Top, but more down home and bluesy.

Here's Ray Wylie having a conversation with the Devil, trying to bargain his way out of Hell:

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,923PFN Referee
    Glad you made this.. I almost did myself a couple days ago.. add Townes Van Zandt to this mix.

• AlphaWolfAlphaWolf Posts: 74PFN Referee
    Townes was one helluva great musician.  I think you just informed my playlist for the evening.

And if you liked Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant's earlier solo work, you'll love his new-ish album (came out last year)

• TheCowdogTheCowdog Posts: 144PFN Referee
    Wow. Late to this one. So much good music to share with peeps that started on the SFN.

Alpha, Va? I think we're all good here
  • Don't forget the Spartanburg, SC fellow Mr. Walter Hyatt...one of my favorites...tragically died in a plane crash back in 1996.
  • TheCowdogTheCowdog Posts: 144PFN Referee
    Doeren is a Tyler Childers fan BTW. 
    Kentucky has produced some excellent musicians lately -- Childers and Sturgill Simpson come to mind.  I'm a huge Sturgill fan, and I loved what he did at the CMA's this year: busking outside with his Grammy sitting in his guitar case out in front because the CMA's didn't even invite him.
    edited October 2018
    I love Sturgill's cover of Nirvana's In Bloom.  The music video is just bizarre.  Kurt Cobain would approve.

edited October 2018
    That entire "A Sailor's Guide To The Earth" album is solid.  How can it not be, when you have your core band AND the Dap-Kings providing the horns and other instruments?

For those of you who don't know, Sturgill wrote and recorded the album as a statement of sorts to his newborn son.  He's called it "sort of like a card" but there a lot more than that.  There's a bit of fatherly advice, a bit of storytelling and a lot of really good music.

My favorites are "Brace for Impact (Live a Little)" and "Keep It Between The Lines."
  • RadmanRadman Posts: 22
    Saw Sturgill at the WIllie Nelson show a few months back. Enjoyed.
  • noahnoah Posts: 27
    Is it stating the obvious to mention Jason Isbell?
  • I pretty much put up my Gibsons 5 years ago (although I admit they look great beside my great grandfather's pump organ in my living room) and went to talk radio. But my wife is making me go see Billy Joel next weekend so who knows, maybe some juices can get rekindled.
    Damn!  Billy Joel is still touring?  Good for him.
  • noahnoah Posts: 27
    I heard today that Phil Collins is still touring, but his back is so trashed that he has to sit down the entire time and he has apparently given up drumming.

Billy Joel has three ex-wives and had an agent steal all of his money. I'd bet he tours until he dies.
  • bill_onthebeachbill_onthebeach Posts: 273
    edited October 2018
    I Believe... JJ Grey and Mofo ought to be mentioned here...
    edited October 2018
    Is it stating the obvious to mention Jason Isbell?

Definitely not, Noah.  Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit are one of the best bands out there...full stop.

• Verlon Thompson playing a song about his mama: 
  • Lyle Lovett's tribute to Guy Clark at the 70th birthday deal: 
  • Great story (and song) from Terry Allen at the same birthday party: 
    Stapleton and the the Truckers next weekend, with Marty Stuart besides.  Looking forward to that show...
  • Well, looks like we lost Funky Donnie Fritts tonight.  I guess I need to research whether he's any kin to Funky Stan Fritts.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 132
    On a completely different note, my favorite group in college in the early '80s was 3PM.  Saw them once at Stewart Theater:

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,725
    Radman said:
    Saw Sturgill at the WIllie Nelson show a few months back. Enjoyed.
    I have tickets to see Willie Nelson on November 18 if he recovers from his bout of breathing difficulties.
  • 1984Met said:
    On a completely different note, my favorite group in college in the early '80s was 3PM.  Saw them once at Stewart Theater:

Bernie Petteway, the guitarist, still plays around the area.  He's in an Americana band with a good friend of mine.  Plus he still does the fusion stuff with his band, The Bernie Petteway Trio.  They play periodically at Kings and Cat's Cradle.
  • Texpack said:
    I have tickets to see Willie Nelson on November 18 if he recovers from his bout of breathing difficulties.
    I hope Willie is better than he was when I saw him a few years ago in Greensboro with Alison Krauss.  His voice did not sound good at all, and he was essentially relegated to talking instead of singing.  I've heard clips of him since, and they sounded much better.  I guess you can't expect that much night in and night out from an 86 year old.